Friday, March 5, 2010

Where Are the Sharks?

Reports are in and shark attacks are down for the second year in a row. 37 % to be exact. Now, there is no doubt this is a good thing. Human lives are being spared and they get to live to see another day. But one question remains: What is going on with the sharks? Where did they go?

Like any other time, I have my own theory!

I think the sharks and the whales formed an alliance. It makes sense if you think about it. Sharks always carry a bad rap about being mean and violent, while whales are depicted as being cute and cuddly. When was the last time you heard someone say "Man, I'd love to go in there and play with some sharks?" But you always hear "Man, I'd love to go in there and play with some whales."

So, the sharks got sick of this. They wanted to be viewed as cute and cuddly, too. There was only one thing to do.

Make nice with the whales, who catch over 40,000 pounds of food per day. Surely they can share some with the sharks.

Lets do the math on this.

1 whale eats 40,000 pounds of food a day. One shark eats 6-10 thousand pounds of food per day. There are approximately 500,000 whales swimming the oceans, and approximately 150,000 sharks.

Therefore, Whales eat over two hundred million pounds of food a day, while sharks only eat approximately one million pounds of food per day. If each whale gave up two thousand pounds of food each day, the sharks would have more than enough to eat.

So, I believe the sharks made up with the whales so that their bad reputation will go away.

Maybe one day people will say "Man, I'd love to go in there and play with some whales OR sharks."

*Note* All estimations were based on my limited education!

3 comments:

  1. I like your blog. Updates on the news + humor thrown in = win!

    Good job.

    I don't know if I agree with your shark theory, though. :) Estimations were a tad off, too. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, sir/ma'am, I take it your eyes missed the end note.

    My theory is without a doubt true. In fact, it's not a theory, it's a proven fact. I've done extensive research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's true. i was there for said research.

    ReplyDelete